5 Reasons To Watch Panipat
Ashutosh Gowariker is back with a historical . Agreed, some of his recent films have not done well. But this one is looking kosher. Here is why.
1. Know-all…The director is an accomplished research-fuelled filmmaker.His last release Mohenjo Daro may have failed at the boxoffice. But he knows the milieu that he returns to explore and won’t compromise on facts just to make his cinema look sexy.
2. Masterstroke …Ashutosh has chosen to cast Sanjay Dutt as the antagonist . Dutt’s only success in recent times has been as the villain in Karan Johar’s Agneepath. In Panipathe plays Ahmad Shah Abdali an invader who would stop at nothing to see his adversaries on the ground.
3. Arjun Kapoor in the role of an lesser know Maratha warrior Sadashiv Rao Bhao,brings to his role a disembodied passion. Rest assured.he is nothing like his pal RanveerSingh in Bajirao Mastani. Ranveer was a warrior driven by passion. Arjun plays a warrior whose sense of selfworth is challenged when territorial claims threaten to destroy the sanctity of his land. This role and film will bring Arjun back in the reckoning.
4. Music composers Ajay-Atul who take over from A R Rahman in Gowariker’s oeuvre have by now become the first choice for music in all period dramas. What Gowariker gets out of them in Panipat is an interesting amalgamation of nostalgia and authenticity. The songs and music reflect the times. But in a contemporary context.
5. This year the historical period drama has been in a slow-burn status, what with Manikarnika being the only film from the historical genre this year. It’s time 2019 had its first bonafide historical hit.