There was a time when Naaz and Nazima played the hero’s suffering sister. They either got raped or were victims of a violent marriage.
And yes, their sole purpose of existence was to tie a rakhi on their Pyare Bhaiya’s sturdy wrist. Times have changed. Sisters no longer invest in tears and treacle. They are feisty fiery and their bro’s best friend. Here’s looking at 10 recent sibling equations that dared to be different.
- Juhi Chawla-Sanjay Suri in My Brother Nikhil: When Nikhil’s elder sister gets to know he has AIDS she not only stands by him she also convinces her shocked inconsolable parents to come to terms with their son’s homosexuality and illness.This was a turning point for sibling bonding in Hindi films.Sisters no longer needed to be coy about their brother’s failings and feelings.Way to go, Juhi.
- Aishwarya Rai-Shah Rukh Khan in Josh: Mansoor Khan wanted to cast his cousin Aamir as Aishwarya’s love interest.Aamir wanted to play her brother.Not surprising. Josh saw Ash and SRK playing non-identical twins. He was so possessive that it almost looked incestuous. Mansoor even wrote a song for the filmi siblings to sing together.Apan bole tu meri laila…This was the brother telling his sister about his girlfriend. Does anyone remember poor Priya Gill as SRK’s girlfriend or poorer Chandrachur Singh as Aishwarya’s boyfriend? So deep and focused was the bond between the brother and sister that everyone else seemed incidental.
- Tabu & [tooltip id="c1b465420d07c688942ed18eadfd9f92" keyword_color="#000000" background_color="#ffffff"][tooltip id="4db8f5608d45f5de7881d9bce162f4bf"]Salman Khan">[/tooltip][/tooltip] in Jai Ho: Errrrr, Shah Rukh had a girlfriend in this film, played by Daisy Shah. But it was his screen sister Tabu with whom Salman was shown sharing all his inner thoughts. And who can forgot the sequence where Tabu is attacked by goons in a restaurant. She rings up Salman. The rest is what raksha bandhan is all about.
- Priyanka Chopra–Ranveer Singh in Dil Dhadakne Do: They siblings are bonded by their mutual disgust for their parents’ hypocritical marriage, somewhat like Dev Anand and Zeenat Aman in Hare Ram Hare Krishna, but less agitated and far cooler. Ranveer and Priyanka were shown discussing one another’s love life—he urges his sister to get out ofa loveless marriage and marry the man she loves—and they probably discuss the dates for SanjayBhansali’s Ram Leela where they played intense lovers at the same time. Bhaiyya mere raakhi ke bandhan konibhana….
- Divya Dutt & Farhan Akhtar in Bhaag Milkha Bhaag: She fights off domestic abuse to nurture her brother’s talents as a marathon runner and even funds his dreams with her meagre income.Divya clung to her character’s maternal possibilities , making her relationship with her brother the reason for her existence.This was an old-world sibling bonding, but with a marathon twist.
- Arjun Kapoor & Gunjan Malhotra in Tevar: The hero’s sister played by the vivacious Gunjan Malhotra knows every secret in her brother’s heart. She is young precocious inquisitive and caring. Every brother in the audience would recognize that irritating kid sister.
- Asin & Abhishek Bachchan in Bol Bachchan: Abbas Ali—Sania Ali, Abhishek Bachchan-Sania Bachchan.Asin and Abhishek Bachchan played siblings twice over. So convincing was their sibling act that they ended up looking unconvincing as lovers in All Is Well. How unlike Abhishek’s mother who could simultaneously playSanjeev Kumar’s wife in Koshish and daughter in Parichay.
- Genelia d’Souza-Prateik Babbar in Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na: He is a bit of a freak.A philosopher closeted in a hippy’s body. His sister Aditi knows how to handle him. They share a deep kinship and if Aditi is to have a boyfriend he must be approved of by her strange brother. This is territory way out of the conventional PyariBehna/Bandhan league.
- Amrita Puri-Sushant Singh Rajput In Kai Po Che: This sister won’t let raksha bandhan be a noose around her neck. Amrita Puri plays the doughty sister who carried on a clandestine affair with her brother’s best friend(Rajkummar Rao). The fact obviously doesn’t go down well with the brother. But little sister is not one to give in. This plucky sibling enjoys a good fight .She is a fighter and a flirt. Screen sisters of yore would be shocked.
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan-Randeep Hooda In Sarbjit: The entire film hinged on a sister’s battle to get her brother back from the enemies. Normally it is the brother who protects the sister from enemies. Like GoddessDurga Aishwarya rises above the restrictions of her gender for her brother’s sake. Arrey Bhai, bahen ho to aisi.