1. Mahesh Bhatt was to direct this On The Waterfront ripoff. But when Aamir Khan showed more than a passing interest in the direction, Mahesh walked out and was replaced by Vikram Bhatt.
2. Mita Vashisht who played Aamir Khan’s lawyer spoke to me about Aamir’s interference “ Mahesh Bhatt put his foot down during Ghulam and did not allow Aamir Khan to dictate a particular moment in my performance. I worked with the most powerful directors including Mahesh Bhatt who directed some of my most powerful scenes in Ghulam before Vikram Bhatt took over.He just ignored Aamir’s objection to something I did in a shot we had together by saying, “Ya ya I saw it—I don’t know what she did, but it was beautiful. okay next shot.” and he simply walked off to set up for the next shot.Directors like these make you feel ‘yes there is a God who protects acting moments’.
3. Rani Mukherjee’s trademark husky voice was dubbed by a professional dubbing artiste. She was told her voice was not that of a heroine, whatever that meant.
4. Speaking of voice , Aamir Khan sang for the first(and so far last) time in Ghulam .The song Aati kya khandala composed by Jatin-Lalit got praise from the finest singer of the land Lata Mangeshkar .She happened to mention to me that Aamir had sung the hit Aati kya khandala in sur. When I conveyed the compliment to Aamir he sounded genuinely zapped.
5. Released during the year of Kuch Kuch Hota Hai , Ghulam was one of the biggest grosser of the year alongside Salman’s Pyar Kiya Toh Darna Kya, Shah Rukh’s Dil Se and Ajay Devgan’s PyarToh Hona Hi Tha.