You probably didn’t notice them, either because the films containing these admirable performances came and went before you could say , ‘Covid’.Or maybe because these actors and performances were not hyped. Here are the actors whom you missed while they were out-doing the socalled superstars by leaps and bounds.
1. Sunny Kaushal in Bhangra Pa Le: Sunny , I believe, is every bit as talented as his brother Vicky Kaushal. He proved it in the first release of the year . Sunny played two different characters in two different eras , both obsessed with dancing the Bhangra. His dedication to getting the steps right was matched by his determination to excel in every sequence, light heavy or both.This is a young passionate actor fully invested into his character. He should have been recognized for his performance.Actors in films about dancing are rarely celebrated.
2. Kumud Mishra in Ram Singh Charlie: Not too many saw this OTT release in August which had a stand-out performance by Kumud Mishra as a Chaplinesque clown in an obsolete circus pushed into wage-earning corners to support his family. This is a performance brimming over with compassion and bitterness rage and selfpity. It deserved a lot more. Sadly the film did not get the pre-streaming publicity it deserved. Most viewers haven’t even heard of it. It’s never too late to catch a falling star.
3. Pulkit Samrat in Taish: As the happy-go-lucky flirtatious Sunny, Pulkit’s performance got submerged in the intense performances by Harshvardhan Rane . Jim Sarbh and others. I suggest you go back to the series to see just how much Samrat contributed to the dramatic impact of this film. Or better still check out the expanded episodic-series version of the film to see the big scenes that got edited out in the movie version.
4. Vijay Raaz in Lootcase: While the focus was on Kunnal Khemu it was Vijay Raaz who stole the show as a National Geographic-addicted don who speaks his criminal deeds through analogies from the animal kingdom. It was one of the funniest and yet menacing villains I have seen since Kader Khan and Shakti Kapoorretired.A pity this talented actor was in the news in 2020 for all the wrong reasons.
5. Santosh Juvekar in Bhonsle: Are you scratching your head wondering who this dude might be? Don’t stress. I am sure most viewers missed his exceptional performance by this seasoned theatre-movie actor as a politician’s hired goon who finds his nominal power slipping out of his hand. Known mostly for his performances in Marathi cinema Juvekar is an actor to watch. Sadly we don’t acknowledge talent unless backed by the boxoffice.