Zaira Wasim’s premature adieu has sent shock waves across the Hindi film industry. There are those who think she was too hasty in chucking a promising career. Others feel it’s her choice and it must be respected. Here’s looking at those who quit when the world was at their feet.
1. Dimple Kapadia: The very gorgeous Dimple Kapadia was the toast of tinsel town after Raj Kapoorlaunched her as a teen sensation in Bobby. Dimple decided to give it all up –stardom, fame, hysteria, fortune, the big bucks—for the privilege of being Mrs Rajesh Khanna. Khanna, let it be known, was the biggest star of Hindi cinema ever. Girls married his photograph.Dimple got the real person. Later she made a fairly successful comeback with Zakhmi Sher in 1984. But it was never the same.Speaking to me on why she quit after the Bobby Dimple counter questioned , “Does a girl of 15-16 know her mind?”
2. Jaya Bhaduri: She was biggest female superstar of the early 1970s. Hit after hit rolled out of her career between 1971 and 1975. Jaya ushered a new healthy clean and natural heroine, the kind who sparkled without makeup. She had the world at her feet when she decided to quit to be Mrs Amitabh Bachchan.Jaya never regretted her decision. She was very clear on what she wanted in her life.And she has it all.
3. Mumtaz: After a ferocious struggle Mumtaz became one of the top 4 actresses of the 1970s(along with Hema Malini, Jaya Bhaduri and Zeenat Aman). One fine day she decided to simply quit and marry millionaire Mayur Madhvani. It is significant that two of the biggest hits of her career Aap Ki Kasam andChor Machaye Shor were released after she left Bollywood and India in 1974.
4. Vinod Khanna: It is said that Vinod Khanna was the only star-actor who could give Amitabh Bachchana run for his money, A debatable opinion. But no one can deny that Vinod Khanna was a top draw at the boxoffice when he suddenly left in 1983 Bollywood to serve as gardener at Oregon for Acharya Rajneesh. Four years later he was back with Satyamev Jayate , and a fairly successful innings.
5. Neetu Singh: As a child Neetu Singh was a big star in Suraj and Do Kaliyan. As an adult the hits flowed like toothpaste from an uncorked tube, many of them with her future husband Rishi Kapoor (KhelKhel Mein,Rafoo Chakkar, Amar Akbar Anthony, Kabhi Kabhie) , future brother-in-law RandhirKapoor(Rickshawallah, Kasme Vade), future father-in-law’s brother Shashi Kapoor(Deewar, Kala Pani). But Neetu only wanted one role. That of Mrs Rishi Kapoor. She got it.