2020 proved a losing battle for movie theatres. They failed to lure back the audiences. But 2021 may turn the tide . There is a slew of seductive movies lined up which audiences would hopefully find irresisitible.
1. Sooryavanshi: The redoubtable Rohit Shetty teams up with Akshay ‘Jubilee Star’ Kumar for the first time. Need we say anything more? Ajay Devgan and Ranveer Singh make guest appearances. Katrina Kaif adds to the oomph factor.
2. Gangubai Kathiawadi: Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s gangster epic takes Alia Bhatt to another level of performance. She is virtually reborn in the avatar of a brother Madame and dreaded don. SLB considers this his best work to date.
3. KFG2: Kannada superstarYash tells me everything in Part 2 of the KGF saga is larger more spectacular, dramatic and hardhitting than Part One. “We made the first part for my Kannada fans, little knowing that it would be liked by audiences in every language. Now Part 2 has been consciously designed for a pan-India audience and an international audience,” promises Yash.
4. RRR: S S Rajamouli after Baahubali!! The only problem here is the audiences’ inflated expectations. Why do I get the feeling that Rajamouli would be able to fulfil all those expectations, then some more. Raja’s dad K V Vijayendra Prasad who wrote RRR tells me the film has shaped up as a suitable followup to Baahubali. I believe him.
5. Radhe India’s Most Wanted Bhai: Two words to bring the audiences back running to the theatres.Salman Khan.
6. ’83: Cricket, and Kapil and Ranveer Singh,plus Deepika Padukone. Can Covid really keep the audience away ? Director Kabir Khan is confident they will return with this one.
7. No Time To Die: The new James Bond film is supposed to be so slick and tactile that cine -soothsayers are already predicting this would be the one to bring the film-viewing community across the globe back into theatres.The 25th James Bond film is also the last time we will see Daniel Craig as 007.Yup, it is time to start preparing for the movie theatres again.
8. Mission Impossible 7: Shot through the Covid, the title of this fabulous franchise is rationalized on this occasion by the hardships it faced during the shooting. Tom Cruise is the world’s most popular actor. If he can’t do it , who can?