5 Times When Hrithik Nailed It
As Hrithik Roshan gets set to prove his might as real-life mathematician Anand Kumar in Super 30 we look at his best performances so far. The selection will surprise many.
1. Bhagwan Dada(1986): all of 12, Hrithik held his own against stalwarts Rajinikanth and Sridevi in this underrated drama of a criminal who is reformed by the love of a child. Playing a central role Hrithik played his character Govinda with professional expertise. I don’t think he was so unaffected in any of his adult roles.Hrithik’s Nanaji(maternal grandfather) J Om Prakash directed the film.
2. Fizaa(2000): Soon after his sensational debut as a leading man in Kaho Na…Pyar Hai,Hrithik played a terror-accused Muslim youth in this uneven but powerful thriller-drama directed by film critic Khalid Mohamed.. Hrithik had for company Jaya Bachchanas his mother and Karisma Kapoor as his sister. He performed with ease and grace.
3. Na Tum Jaano Na Hum(2002): In my opinion Hrithik never gave a more effortlessly romantic performance in any of his films so far. Playing a romantic at heart who falls in love with a woman(Esha Deol) whom he has never met , Hrithik showed a remarkable restrain often to be found lacking in his later lauded performance, some of which are borderline-hammy.
4. Guzaarish (2010): Playing the paraplegic Ethan Mascarenhas who would rather die than be a burden on those who care for him ,Hrithik delivered a bravura performance bringing into his character’s world of frozen dreams an illuminated expanse of sunshine and desire.Hrithik worked hard on getting right the body language of the paraplegic character. Striving for perfection got boring thereafter.
5. Super 30(2019): After a slew of over-the-top performance, the piece de resistance of excessive zeal being Bang Bang, Hrithik will be seen staying resolutely in character as mathematician Anand Kumar in a biopic that will leave no eyes dry in the theatre.