Subhash K Jha Picks 5 Actors Whose Careers Were Dramatically Escalated Last Year
1. Kiara Advani: The orgasm did it. From being just another hopeful pretty face in the Bollywood crows Kiara Advani, who had been struggling for years, suddenly came into her own when Kara Johar’s connoisseur’s eyes fell on this chiselled beauty. He cast her as a sexually dissatisfied wife in Lust Stories. That one sequence where she finds selfsatisfaction in unexpected places has catapulted Kiara to stardom. She will now be seen as one of the leads in Karan Johar’s Good News and as Shahid Kapoor’s leading lady in the Hindi remake of the Telugu blockbuster Arjun Reddy. Way to go, girl.
2. Ayushmann Khurrana: Joining the A- league this year was this affable unassuming actor known to play sexually pronounced characters. Ayushmann scored big in Badhaai Ho and then bigger in Andha Dhun, a role turned down byVarun Dhawan and Harshvardhan Kapoor. Ayushmann is now considered a bankable star-actor.
3. Swara Bhaskar: From being cast repeatedly as spunky smalltown firebrands ,Swara swung into a glam mode with Veere Di Wedding and the webseries It’s Not That Simple. From playing Sonam’s bestfriend Swara has moved to playing every empowered girl’s best friend. Producers are no longer casting her in the economically challenged mode.Designer clothes are not just for star-kids.
4. Vicky Kaushal: As the strong supportive Pakistani husband to Alia Bhatt’s author-backed character in Raazi and then as the ever-libidinous vagabond-on-uppers in Manmarziyan Kaushal has made a place among the dependable actors of today. He will be seen as solo hero early next year in Yuri.
5. Rajkummar Rao: His rise to stardom was palpable in 2017 when Bareilly KiBarfi and Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana proved tidy profit makers. Stree in 2018 has put Rao in the 100-crore club. We all know what that means. Raj Kummar Rao is now a star.