5 Outstanding Performances Of 2020 By Female Actors
1. Mita Vashist in Your Honor: In this gripping web series abut a seemingly incorruptible judge who puts his reputation at stake when his son commits a crime, Mita Vashisht’s sly cop act furnishes a vinegary flavour to her strong stubborn character. Vashisht plays the cop KironSekhon (any resemblance to Bedi was certainly not coincidental) as a mixture of attentive and disdainful . I just couldn’t take my eyes of her stolen steely scornful glances at the guilty-as-sin Judge. Every time Jimmy Sheirgill and MitaVashisht are on screen together, you want to see just where their conversation is going. The words they speak seductively encircle their cat-and-mouse game in this energetic engrossing and altogether gripping tale of empowerment privilege and their misuse.A tremendous performance .
2. Swastika Mukherjee in Pataal Lok: Playing the neglected wife of a media baron, this very accomplished actress infused a startling stillness signifying a supreme sadness into her part. The cheated betrayed disillusioned wife is clinically depressed . But she never wallows in self-pity and rises above her own grief to seek and seize the happiness that she deserves. What a lovely character played with such delicacy, and such a glaring contrast to the other disgruntled wife Swastika played in the crude Black Widows.
3. Kirti Kulhari in Criminal Justice 2: As a woman on the verge of collapse, Kirti plays a completely contrasting character to Four More Shots Please. In the gripping Criminal Justice Season 2 which came at the end of the year Kirti was a bundle of breathless anxieties. She made us care , even as she gave us a big scare in a world that is far from fair.The thing about Kirtishe has a deep understanding of the wages of betrayal and deception, and she mirrors these disappointments in her performance with tremendous force.
4. Geetika Vidya Ohlyan in Unpaused: Playing a Rajasthani migrant in the story Vishaanu in the Unpaused anthology Geetika whom we all remember for her sterling performance in Netflix’s Soni, endows such a high level of credibility to her character that I wanted to see more of her. Maybe a whole film instead of a half-hour segment? Geetika in a sequence where she makes all the right noises about Mumbai in exchange of food and masks,is a class act,as too when her face crumbles on realizing that the temporary luxury abode where she , her husband son are hidden, must come to an end.This is an actress who needs just one shot to nail her character.
5. Kriti Kharbanda in Taish: Films about gangsters, guns and internecine vendetta seldom have space for well-written female characters. Here in this dark meditation on machismo, Kritiheld her own as the self-willed Pakistani live-in girlfriend of Jim Sarbh. When she is challenged taunted and insulted by her boyfriend’s father at a wedding dinner, Kriti gives it back to him politely.Devoted to her man to the extent of selfruination, she brought dignity to her character’s self-effacing love. You can be a slave for love,without being a walkover.Kriti’s performance proved it.