Some little known Facts about Sanjay Dutt
- Sanjay Dutt was an unabashed Mama’s Boy. Mother Nargis was so blinded by her love for her son that she regularly protected him from his disciplinarian father’s wrath. She would tell Sunil Dutt that their son was sleeping in his room when he was partying all night.
- Nargis’ death shattered Sanjay Dutt. She died days before her beloved son made his debut as a leading man in Rocky. A seat was left vacant between Sanjay and his father at Rocky’s premiere to honour the woman they loved the most.
- Contrary to popular belief Sanjay Dutt’s debut film Rocky was not a hit. At the most it was an average earner. But R D Burman’s songs specially Aa dekhe zara and Kya yehi pyar hai are hummed to this day. Funnily Aa dekhe zara pitched smooth-dancer Shakti Kapoor against two-left-feet Sanjay Dutt on the dancefloor. Dutt to his own embarrassment, even won the dance competition .
- Nargis Dutt fell fatally ill during the shooting of Rocky. Sunil Dutt had to hand over the directorial reins to his friend Raj Khosla and look after his dying wife. The two had worked together in Mera Saaya. It was Khosla who shot for the climax of Rocky.
- After his mother’s death he went into a deep drugged depression.He was out of circulation for two years and had to start his career from scratch on his return. After a his return he had a string of flops like Johnny I Love You, Bekaraar , Main Awaara Hoon, Mera Faisla. The only film that worked in this period was Vidhaata . But not because of Sanjay Dutt who confessed he had no idea what he was doing in the film.
- Naam in 1986 finally consolidated his position as a major star. Ironically the film was produced by Rajendra Kumar whose son Kumar Gaurav is married to him. Naam did not benefit Gaurav in any way but turned Dutt into a superstar.
- He played blind in just one film Dushman. His friend Mahesh Manjrekar wanted to cast Dutt and Kareena Kapoor in Ek Anokhi Prem Kahani a love story about a blind man in love with a woman he has never seen. After Dushman Manjrekar shelved the idea.
- He sang in his own voice in Sanjay Chhel’s Khubsoorat. The song Ae shibani was filmed on Dutt and Urmila Matondkar. Dutt talks about the song till date. He loves to sing and has recorded a duet with Asha Bhosle for a private album.