1. In her directorial debut Kaashvie Nair, daughter of filmmaker Shashilal Nair(who made talked-about films like Angaar, Falak and Grahan in the 1980s) has accumulated an impressive cast , with Neena Gupta playing the matriarch again. Neena gets top billing above Arjun Kapoor who plays her beloved grandson . Neena Calls it the Badhaai Ho affect.
2. The surprise is John Abraham who appears in fhashbacks as a Sardar in Lahore during the Partition in 1947. John is technically Neena Gupta’s husband in the film, Neena’s younger version is played by Aditi Rao Hydari who has made a career of playing pretty, marginal characters .
3. Interestingly veteran actor Kanwaljeet who played Neena Gupta’s husband in Neena’s game-changing series Saans in 1998 about a woman’s search for her identity beyond a broken marriage. Kanwaljeet plays Neena’s son Grandson Of Sardar. Reminds of the legendary Waheeda Rehman who played Amitabh Bachchan’s wife in Kabhie Kabhie and mother in Trushul on year later.
4. A major chunk of the story unfolds in Pakistan. Pakistan being impossible to film in ,Lahore was recreated in Punjab down to the minutest detail. Deepa Mehta’s 1947 Earth, Anil Sharma’s Gadar:Ek Prem Katha , Raj Kapoor’s Henna are other films that were denied permission to shoot in Pakistan.
5. During the Straight-to- OTT trend during the past year feature films have suffered a cold response from the audience : Laxmii, Coolie No1 and now Radhe: Your Most Wanted Bhai. Would Grandson Of Sardar turn the tide?